Wallis and Futuna
|capital:||Mata-Utu (on Ile Uvea)|
|geographic coordinates:||13 57 S, 171 56 W|
|time difference:||UTC + 12|
|daylight saving time:||NO|
The Futuna island group was discovered by the Dutch in 1616 and Wallis by the British in 1767, but it was the French who declared a protectorate over the islands in 1842. In 1959, the inhabitants of the islands voted to become a French overseas territory.